Articles

Phosphorus

Introduction

Phosphorus participates in more biological processes than any other mineral in the body. Following calcium, it is the second most abundant mineral in the human body. Approximately 80 percent of phosphorus is present in the skeleton while the other 20 percent plays a role in the metabolism of every cell in the body.

Animal protein foods are the best source of phosphorus for most people. Cola soft drinks also contain a large amount of phosphorus. In fact, it is so abundant in the food supply that it is rarely used therapeutically.

Dosage Info

Dosage Range

800-1,200mg daily.

Most Common Dosage

N/A

Dosage Forms

Tablets and capsules.

Interactions and Depletions

Interactions

Depletions

Reported Uses

Phosphorus, along with calcium, provides strength and rigidity for teeth and bones. Unlike calcium, phosphorus is also an integral part of the structure of soft tissues and cellular membranes. Phosphorus is also a component of a group of compounds known as phospholipids. Phospholipids are an important part of cellular membranes, and they also aid in transporting fats throughout the body and across cellular membranes.

Phosphorus is an essential part of energy storage and production processes in every cell in the body. It also takes part in a variety of enzymatic reactions and is crucial for cellular reproduction.

Toxicities & Precautions

Introduction

[span class=alert]Be sure to tell your pharmacist, doctor, or other health care providers about any dietary supplements you are taking. There may be a potential for interactions or side effects.[/span]

General

This dietary supplement is considered safe when used in accordance with proper dosing guidelines.

Large doses of this dietary supplement in high phosphorus-containing foods, such as animal protein and cola soft drinks, may inhibit calcium absorption and contribute to skeletal problems such as osteoporosis. (1) It may also inhibit magnesium, aluminum and iron absorption. Excess phosphorus can increase the incidence of hyperthyroidism (2) and may affect bone health. (3)

Pregnancy / Breast Feeding

To date, the medical literature has not reported any adverse effects related to fetal development during pregnancy or to infants who are breast-fed. Proper nutrition is essential during pregnancy for the healthy development of the fetus. Numerous vitamins and minerals are a vital part of proper nutrition. If you are pregnant, think you might be pregnant, trying to get pregnant, or breast-feeding an infant, talk to your healthcare professional about supplementing your diet with appropriate vitamins and minerals.

Age Limitations

To date, the medical literature has not reported any adverse effects specifically related to the use of this dietary supplement in children. Vitamins and minerals are an essential part of proper growth and development. Talk to your healthcare professional about the appropriate use of vitamins and minerals in children. Do not use any vitamin or mineral in children under 2 years of age unless first discussed with your healthcare professional.

References

  1. View Abstract: Mazariegos-Ramos E, et al. Consumption of Soft Drinks with Phosphoric Acid as a Risk Factor for the Development of Hypocalcemia in Children: A Case-control Study. J Pediatr. Jun1995;126(6):940-42.
  2. View Abstract: Popelier M, et al. Phosphorus-calcium Metabolism in Hyperthyroidism. Presse Med. Apr1990;19(15):705-08.
  3. View Abstract: Draper HH, et al. Calcium, Phosphorus, and Osteoporosis. Fed Proc. Jul1981;40(9):2434-38.